Fort Sam Houston originates in 1845 when the Post at San Antonio was established in the Alamo City. The Army established a garrison and regional headquarters in rented buildings and a Quartermaster supply depot in the Alamo. After the Civil War, the Army began to move out of the city onto land donated by the City of San Antonio. In 1876, the construction of the Quadrangle began and the Quartermaster Depot moved into it in 1877. The garrison moved into tents west of the Quadrangle in 1879 and the Headquarters moved in 1881. The Post at San Antonio continued to expand with the addition of the Infantry Post in the 1880s. It was designated as Fort Sam Houston in 1890 and expanded again in 1905 with the Cavalry and Light Artillery Post.
These areas, plus the New Post of the 1930s, constitute the largest collection of historic buildings in the Department of Defense (800+) and form the Fort Sam Houston National Historic Landmark. Located in the heart of San Antonio, the post is the birthplace of military aviation and saw the development of the concept of airborne operations. The post evolved into the “Home of Army Medicine” after World War II and into the “Home of Military Medicine” with the establishment of the Medical Education and Training Campus in 2010. Many of America’s finest military personnel have served at Fort Sam Houston. The post is proud of its historic role and the many initiatives to retain the historic character of the post while serving as a modern, model Joint Base for the future.
The official Facebook page for Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston.
Welcome to the Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston official Facebook fan page. We will use this page to post the most recent news, videos, announcements and photos that showcase our missions and people. For more information, please visit www.jbsa.af.m
To train and maintain a quality work force.
To provide timely support for worldwide contingencies.
To sustain a quality working, training, and living environment.